An international European project in which Cantabria is participating via SODERCAN along with the Fundación Tecnalia as a national partner:
TETRRIS European Project
- Start date: July 1, 2020
- End date: July 1, 2023
- Program: Horizon 2020
- Total budget: 1,980,437.50 euros
- SODERCAN budget: 129,375.00 euros
- EU contribution: 100%
- Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy (Finland)
- Yaghma (Norway)
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V (Germany)
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION (Spain)
- ASSOCIATION EUROPEENNE DES AGENCES DE DEVELOPPEMENT (Belgium)
- SOCIEDAD PARA EL DESARROLLO REGIONAL DE CANTABRIA SA (Spain)
- PIRKANMAAN LIITTO (Finland)
- Technologie Region Karlsruhe GmbH (Germany)
- Dél-alföldi Regionális Innovációs Ügynökség Közhasznú Egyesület (Hungary)
This project is aimed at producing a valuable and systemic transition in territorial and regional systems in Europe. The traditional economic aspects of regional development policies and actions must be complimented by social and environmental values that are important to citizens and stakeholders in communities across Europe.
Territories and regions are integrated within a larger context of national and international structures which are political, economic and social in nature. Regions differ from one another due to a multitude of political, economic, social and cultural factors.
This underscores the importance of considering context and the unique needs of different territories and regions within Europe as the point of departure for the implementation of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI). This constellation of factors also implies the need for dialogue between different political levels of decision-making to reinforce the transitions towards socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable economic development.
To achieve these objectives, a number of European regions have been selected to participate in the project: Tampere (Finland), Karlsruhe (Germany), País Vasco and Cantabria (Spain). With this project, these regions from different parts of Europe have the opportunity to raise awareness and compare different political-economic contexts and their impact on the implementation of RRI. Each region has its specific areas of intelligent specialisation, permitting broad and varied experiments and learning opportunities in different areas of action. Furthermore, green energy is a transversal issue, with a pilot project in each of these regions, allowing for a comparison of the effectiveness of projects in different contexts.
The project includes the following actions:
- Establish a map and analyse regional systems to understand how governance is organised, identify the principal actors (from the private sector to political institutions, universities and NGOs) and the current role of the RRI, the key factors and barriers to transition and how the key actors in the regional systems understand these systems and the possibilities for change.
- Based on the mapping and analysis indicated above, the aim is to co-create with regional actors “a theory of change” that incorporates essential factors, mechanisms and support elements to enhance the implementation of RRI in the selected regions of the project. Special attention will be paid to the dynamics of interaction between actors and political instruments.
- Organise “change laboratories” in which to debate, prepare and support pilot actions for the development of RRI.
- Support for the organisation of pilot actions in the development of RRI in the different regions.
- Organise opportunities for regional actors to learn and receive support from other regions at an international level.
- To initiate and support dialogue between different levels of government in the field of research and innovation (regional, national and international) on how to make RRI practices sustainable, creating institutional structures and incentives to make this possible.
- To gather the lessons and experiences in a ‘workbook’ to be used in other regions and including policy recommendations based on the pilot experiences and actions.